Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Tuesday March 4

Biked out to Saguaro National Park and rode through
the cacti. Some of the cholla and barrel cactuses
are beginning to have buds and the octillos that
always look like thiey're dead are starting to turn
green. Saw curve billed thrasher and phainopepla
(looks like an all black cardinal). Came back to the
campground and collapsed. Some ice water and I was
revived. Added some grocery finds to the goulash and
sat in the sun to read.

I've started "The Iambics of Newfoundland", a book of
essays by an American, Robert Finch, who splits his
time between Cape Cod and St. Johns, and he coedited
The Norton Book of Nature Writing with John Elder.
Very nice writing and lots of details about
Newfoundland I didn't know. The essays are mostly
from the late 80's when NL was still pretty primitive.

I finished Travels with Charlie. I think I read
Grapes of Wrath in high school so I don't know much
Steinbeck. He won the Nobel Prize for Literature. His
writing is effortless and a pleasure to read. But you
shouldn't try to give it a lot of thought. He tries
to rediscover America, comes up with all kinds of
generalizations, says it's impossible to come up with
generalizations and says even if he does they're only
his generalizations and an Englishman might see
something completely different. Duh. He's also a bit
of a curmudgeon, constantly catching himself
glorifying the good old days. The best part of the
book was his going to New Orleans to watch the crazy
crackers curse at the first black and white children
going to the same school.

At a natural foods store I saw a healthy living type
magazine with an ad that read:

My body, my fish oil.
On my path, I strive to achieve balance.
Fish oil makes me strong, enhances my well-being.


____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

No comments: