Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Monday March 24

It was very windy and cold this morning. Had my
coffee and packed up and drove into Springdale, just
outside the park. Found a laundramat and by the time
my undies were clean and dry the sun had come out and
it was another beautiful day. So I went back to the
campsite (which I'd paid for anyway) and set back up.


Took the shuttle bus to a trailhead which also
happened to be under one of the most popular rock
climbing routes. There were four teams of climbers
headed up a sheer face of rock that takes two days to
climb. There was a climber hurt and I watched a
rescue team set up ropes to get him off the cliff.
Never did get to do a hike myself. The rescue guys
said they do about 65 rescues a year and almost none
are rock climbers. Usually, a hiker who slips and
breaks a leg.

Back at the campground I chatted with a young woman
who graduated from Bowdoin two years ago and now
teaches art and outdoor skills at a private school in
Prescott, AZ and her parents; the mom is a social
worker in Waterbury, CT who works in maternity with
high risk moms. Dad teaches art at a posh CT prep
school and makes wooden kayaks. And a man with
Aspergers who has a fiberglass teardrop trailer.

I've been looking at the map and the weather and I
think I'm not going to go any further north right now.
It's very cold in Bryce and in the mountains of
Colorado. Going to head east into the Navajo-Hopi
reservation and into Southern Colorado before I turn
north toward Boulder.


____________________________________________________________________________________
Never miss a thing. Make Yahoo your home page.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

No comments: