Friday, February 1, 2008

Wednesday January 30

A traveling day today. From Beaufort to the Stephen Foster Campground in the middle of the Okeefenokee Swamp in Georgia, right on teh Florida Border.  I stopped for BBQ on the way at a drive-up near Waycross and the woman behind the counter, in all seriousness, told me I shouldn't kayak in the swamp because some of the alligators are bigger than the kayak.  
After chatting for a while, the BBQ lady asked if I'd like some catfish.  Thinking she was going to offer me a taste of somethng she was cooking, I said sure.  She came out and walked me to the side of the house where there was a large sink with 4 enormous live catfish.  I gratefully declined.

There are about 45 sites in the campground and only 5 are occupied.  It is very quiet and I miss the sound of the ocean of the last few nights.

Cooked my first real meal in the Toaster.  Bought some chicken, veggies and noodles and made a goulash.  I must get some more spices as I think I'm already getting tired of salt, pepper and Frank's Hot Sauce.  The galley kitchen works well.

Had lots of time to think today.  I'm still yoyoing between being so excited to be on the road and wondering what I've gotten myself in to.  I wonder how much of this angst is simply the loss of routine not having the security of predictability.  There are so few campers here that t registragion, the range said to just pick any site I liked.  One more decision to make.  No, I'm not complaining.

The campsites all have water, electricity and cable TV hookup.

No comments: