Monday, February 11, 2008

Saturday February 9

Drove down to the National Seashore on Padre Island. There's free camping
right on the water. A good place to put in the kayak. I'm paid up here
til Monday, then I'll move over there.

Bought a Coleman lantern like we had when I was growing up. It really
throws a lot of light. I've been spoiled so far this trip with staying in
campgrounds with electricity. Time to start roughing it.

So I bought sushi for lunch.

Did some food shopping and cooked up a big pot of stuff to eat for the
next few days.

Finished the second of the thriller books I brought along. A John
MacDonald, Travis Gunther whodunnit, "The Deep Blue Goodbye". A pretty
pulpy standard kind of adventure. Travis Gunther tells the story in the
first person and tries to convince the reader that he only uses sex and
violence for theraputic purposes.

Spent the afternoon on the beach. Saw a bird I'd never seen before, royal
terns: black head, a black crown and bright orange bill, like a bad
haloween makeup job. Also saw another teardrop camped on the beach.
Bigger than mine and a great looking galley. Nobody was home so I'll
check again tomorrow.

No comments: