Saturday, February 23, 2008

Thursday February 21

Not a big activity day. A day for ruminating. I
treated myself to breakfast at the Chisos Basin Lodge.
Buffet style, including biscuits and gravy. Came back
to the campground and hiked down into a canyon where
the water treatment system used to be, was told there
was big bird action there. It was pretty but no new
birds. Spent the afternoon sitting at the campsite
enjoying the view, the sun and the breeze. Once
again I was reminded how primal feeling the wind is
for me. My earliest memory is a sensation more than a
movie. My family was camping and I was lying under a
tree. I can still feel the breeze and the contentment
of that moment. There is some combination of wind,
temperature and sunlight which evokes that memory.


Went back to the lodge to buy some groceries. Met
Bruce Hill who started a yacht sales business in
Shelburne now run by his son. On the way out the
door, an odd looking young man in kitchen clothes
pointed at my car and said that was his home state.
He then regaled me with a tale that involved high
property taxes, selling his house in Burlington and
being bored working in Big Bend. I finally got away.


Later in the aftenoon a lovely British accent asked if
it could disturb me. A relatively young retired
couple from the UK traveling in the US for a year.
Big time sailors who instead of yachting around the
world, fell in love with our fair country when they
came to visit a daughter in college. They want to buy
kayaks and seeing mine figured me for an expert. They
are on their way to Alaska.

Finished reading "Freedomland". Another in the best
thrillers of all time. Sort of a slog. A semigood
story involving black/white relations in what sounds
like Newark, NJ, a mom who claims her car and young
child were stolen a young black man, etc. No more
thrillers for a while, so:

ATTENTION PCC PEOPLE: I've started reading "Travels
with Charlie" that came with my lantern. Did you know
that the intro was written by Jay Perini of Middlebury College?


____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

No comments: