Thursday, February 14, 2008

Monday February 11

Went to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge, winter home of
whooping and sandhill cranes. Saw 3 whooping cranes
in the distance and another flew right overhead.
Didn't see any sandhills. Also saw a coot, little
blue heron, wilson's plover, ring-necked duck, common
moorhen, and a crested caracara. In the nonbird
category, a javelina, a sort of wild pig, an
armadillo, some very large alligators and a water
moccassin skittering across the road.

In the afternoon I drove back to the Padre Island
National Seashore and set up camp in a boondocking
area- free but no electric or water, just a couple pit
toilets. But it's right on the water. I wanted to
camp on the beach but it's too windy so I'm on the bay
side or Laguna Madre. I was just settleing in with my
book when the RV next to me turned on a very loud
generator. The camphost said that all's fair until
10:00 PM and apparently boondockers are generator
crazy. So, in the dark, I moved a ways down the shore
and found a very quiet spot. Made a hanger for the
Colerman Lantern and I'm snug as can be.

The weather is supposed to be pretty crummy tomorrow.
Might be a Corpus Christi sightseeing day.


____________________________________________________________________________________
Looking for last minute shopping deals?
Find them fast with Yahoo! Search.

http://tools.search.yahoo.com/newsearch/category.php?category=shopping

No comments: