Monday, April 7, 2008

Monday April 7

Haven't written much since I've been here. Days are
uneventful but very pleasant. Having a great time
with Steven and Mandy. As I have very few relatives,
mom, Kate, and a cousin I haven't seen since childhood
(mom had one brother, dad was an only child) it's
fortunate that Steven is pretty special, not only by
dint of being my brother, but also because he is a
very nice man.

The days are running into each other even more than
being on the road, but I'll try to remember what I've
been up to the last few days. Heard some great jazz
on Wed: two CU student combos with a couple fine
improvisors. Got the trailer repaired: the post that
holds the Toaster up when it's unhitched was too long,
kept getting bonked on odd shaped roads. Have been
doing a lot of bike riding. Still haven't passed
anyone except the old grey-haired guy on a mountain
bike. I came close yesterday. I was catching up on
the rider in front of me when he/she turned right.

I spent today at CU. They have a weeklong "Conference
on World Affairs" with gobs of heavy hitters. Heard a
concert and history of Bossa Nova with a guitar
player, Oscar Castro-Nuevas who played with Antonio
Carlos-Jobim and Gual Gilberto in Brazil 50 years ago.
Margot Adler of NPR talked at a workshop about
whether we'd survive an attack by extraterrestrials.
Much more interesting and down to earth than it sounds
(by the way, she is a Wiccan Priestess). Also there
was Terry McNally who who wrote and produced the movie
"Earth Girls are Easy." The last workshop was about
the fight between religion and science with "The Great
Randi" from Skeptic Magazine and a gay former Jesuit
priest, now an atheist and married under
Massachussett's new law.


____________________________________________________________________________________
You rock. That's why Blockbuster's offering you one month of Blockbuster Total Access, No Cost.

http://tc.deals.yahoo.com/tc/blockbuster/text5.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi Jordan,

Glad you're having a good time at your brother's.
I've been busy and not following your exploits for
awhile, but Annie's away for a week now and I've got
a little breathing room.
April has been just wonderful here - lots of sunny days that start out bracingly crisp, then warm into
earth-smell, shirt-sleeve afternoons. I've been walking up to the water reservoir almost every morning, with binocs, listening to the birds and counting species - 22 this morning. Many days a
new species shows us - it's a wonderful time to be
doing this.
Will and I are planning a canoe trip somewhere along the Northern Forest Canoe Trail (about 740
miles of more-or-less-connected waterways from
New York state to northern Maine) - May 12-16.
I've been ordering maps from the 12 sections.
Plenty of portages though - not sure where we'll
put in. I'm wondering if we can rig up a wheel for
under the center of the canoe for portages. They
can be as long as 4 miles, most are a mile or less.
How long will you be at your brother's? Then out
to see your mom?
Take care...
David