Friday, April 18, 2008

Friday April 18

Woke up to a chilly but beautiful sunrise (see sun
glinting off Toaster). Connected with three other
campers for shuttling to a trail head. An older
couple from Denver who voted for Ron Paul in the
primary and a very pleasant retired elementary PE
teacher from Maryland. The hike was an 1800 ft drop
into Monument Canyon, beautiful rock formations but
the lady Ron Paul follower was driving me crazy with
her constant lecture on what's wrong with kids today.
The PE guy and I had to sit in the back of her pickup
for the ride back up the mountain and I think she had
figured out that I wasn't a fellow traveller; she
drove around 20mph hairpin turns at about 60. I know
she was trying to throw me out the back.

Drove to Moab. The last 30 miles or so along the
Colorado River through a mini Grand Canyon. There
were a few rafters and white water kayaks and plenty
of water and rapids but the river looked almost too
muddy to flow. The campgrounds in Arches National
Park were full as were all the Nat Forest sites. I'm
in an RV park that had no trailer sites so I'm in the
tenting area and have had to put up the tent: official
rules, though I'm going to sleep in the trailer. The
sites are very close together, no vegetation. On one
side is a family with 4 kids under seven and on the
other, two families with 6 young children between
them. At this moment there are two babies crying.
The two french guys a couple sites down have
disappeared.

Biked into Moab to see about renting a mountain bike
for tomorrow. This is the world capitol of MB'ing and
the most famous trail is Slick Rock, ten miles up and
down a giant boulder. I think that it will be a lot
like the top of Mt. Abe on a warm fall Saturday but
I'm here and it has to be done.


____________________________________________________________________________________
Be a better friend, newshound, and
know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile.yahoo.com/;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

No comments: