Monday, January 28, 2008

Sunday January 27

Got to Hunting Island State Park in Beaufort SC around 2:00.  I have a campsite right on the beach.  Next to me is a retired couple from Zimbabwe and across the way, two people who run a B&B in Alaska in the summer.  As I'm writing I'm watching a pink-orange glow in the south-east, the spillover from the sun setting around the corner of the island.  It was close to 60 during the day but the temp is falling quickly with the dusk.

The retired lady across the way invited me in for soup.   I seem to have a way with retired ladies.  She travels with a kitty on a leash and her hobby is taming feral cats.  She showed me the scars on her hands that she's gotten while trying to put leash harnesses on teh rotten little animals.

The neighbors say they saw 10 kayakers at the end of the island.  I'll track them down tomorrow.

The first tragedy of the trip:  I left the plastic coffee filter cone in Bristol.



2 comments:

Nancy said...

I am racing to be the 1srt to respond! This is my very first Blogging experience! Can't think of anyone I'd rather follow around on their adventures. Thanks for the opportunity. Walmart carries AAA bateries for your chandelier. Are you able to read under it? Does it attract moquitoes? Be cautious around those retirees, widows and singles! I think you need a watchdog!
Ciao & Happy Trails, Nancy

kirsten said...

I'm glad you are doing a blog. We will get to follow your adventures vicariously! I know I will enjoy meeting the characters who will enter your life. I love the cat lady, already. I'd be nervous if she offers you a bowl of milk.

I'm sorry we didn't get to see you before you hit the road. You're never far from our thoughts. Safe Travels - Kirsten