Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Monday January 28


I woke up to pee in the middle of the night and the moon was just rising.  It was huge and orange and was matched only by the sunrise in the morning, which was so exquisite that not even not being able to make my morning cup of coffee could put me in a bad mood.

So I drive over the rotating bridge spanning the Beaufort River on my way to drop off the Toaster at the manufacturer to get mended and accessorized;  I'm cruising up Cartoret St and there's a small woman jogging that looks a lot like Bonnie McCardell.  And, yes, it was Bonnie McCardell.  She and John have a home here.  We had lunch at Plums, on the veranda overlooking the river.  It was about 65 degrees.  Bonnie and I took off our sweaters.  Ours was the only table not underneath a heatlamp.

The Toaster got it's leaks repaired, new shelves in the cupboards and galley, electric outlet inside for external power and both the trailer and car got washed.  They were excited that I had a kayak on the car and wanted to take pics for advertising.

Bought fresh shrimp on the way back to the campground ($5.00 a pound), cooked them up and ate them smothered in Frank's Hot Sauce.  Sat by the campfire with the couple from Zimbabwe.  Turns out he was head of propaganda for the losing side in the war 28 years ago that brought the dictator Robert Mugabe to power and changed the name from Rhodesia.  He works for the South Carolina Realtors Association now.

Talked to a couple kayakers and tomorrow I'll go paddling.

No comments: