Monday, January 28, 2008

Saturday January 26

My first night on the road.  (Actually my second.  I stayed in Lakeville, CT with old friends from my graduate school days.  I grew up with Diane and worked for Joel in his family coffee business in NYC, the origin of my coffee snobbery.  He's an artist and she's a potter.

Tonight I'm in Emoria, VA.  In a Walmart parking lot.  THanks for the atlas Linda and Jack.  I ahve a view of Wong's Chinese Garden Restaurant and Kelly Tux Rentals.  But the price is right.  It's not too bright, noisy or cold.  No other RV's here.  I knew I wasn't in VT anymore as half the folk in the Walmart were people of color.

I stopped for gas in southern New Jersey where people speak a lot like me.  Stopped 4 hours later at the FLying J Truck StoGLen, VA and heard thick southern accents.  The parking lot was full or RB's with Quebec licensed plates and the restaurant full of hypernasal French-Canadians.

The car is running well, the coffee is terrible and I am so excied to be on my way.

1 comment:

Kate said...

And you know you're from Vermont when you say "people of color"...